The MWSD Hardship Fund is a grant-giving fund to enable adults and young people in hardship to participate in MWSD activities for example attending a District, County, National or international scouting event.
The MWSD Hardship Fund is drawn from the MWSD reserves built up from fund raising, donations and bequests and other sources of funding. Both adults and young people are eligible for this fund.
The MWSD team wish to promote adventurous, innovative, high-quality scouting events accessible to all. The MWSD Hardship Fund endeavours to ensure that cost is not a barrier to young people and leaders in accessing these transformational experiences.
What can be funded:
The fund can be used to fund any individual from the Mersey Weaver Scout District taking part in a scouting event or activity.
We may fund up to 50% of the cost of the event, up to a maximum of £500, per individual.
The fund is not aimed at financing whole group block applications purely to reduce the cost of the trip overall, unless the entire group is in hardship, in which case it will be necessary to detail how each individual member meets the criteria.
Who can apply?
Any member of The Mersey Weaver Scout District with a particular financial need can apply; (financial need is defined as the difference between what it costs to attend and what the applicant can afford to pay). Priority will be given to individuals who fulfil one or more of the criteria below but all applications will be considered:
• Young Carers
• Child/ Young Person in care
• Recent death of Parent (within 12 months)
• In receipt of Job Seekers Allowance /Benefits
• Convalescence after illness
• In receipt of Free School Meals
• Physical/mental health issues (applicants own)
• Recent redundancy (of applicant or next of kin, within 12 months)
• Total household income level below £23,000 (in line with Gilwell fund)
• Young person in Part Time work (less time to fundraise)
• Young person in need of additional support in the form of a carer whilst abroad.
Completed forms should be submitted to Sponsorship Advisory Panel